Event Coordinator - Full Time
The Aurora Civic Center Authority (ACCA), an innovative organization located on Stolp Island in the Fox River in the heart of the richly diverse community of historic Aurora, Illinois (one hour from downtown Chicago), is seeking a full-time Event Coordinator. ACCA is the parent organization, which also includes a 501(c)3 arm under the name of Paramount Arts Centre, Inc. It operates three performance venues: the 6,000-person RiverEdge Park, the 1,843-seat landmark Paramount Theatre, and the 165-seat Copley Theatre. ACCA produces and presents over 300 performances each year, including star-studded touring productions and a self-produced Broadway Series of musicals for an annual audience of 350,000 patrons from over 250 communities. ACCA proudly operates the Paramount School of the Arts in the new John C. Dunham Aurora Arts Center, right next door to Paramount Theatre in downtown Aurora, and the company looks forward to producing a new, Bold Series of plays and musicals in the newly renovated Copley Theatre beginning in the 2022 season. Paramount Theatre also hosts free community events, $1 Classic Movie Mondays and its opulent interiors provide a spectacular backdrop for private functions such as wedding receptions or corporate galas. Across the street from Paramount Theatre are the gorgeous Meyer Ballrooms which play host to multiple wedding receptions and rental events throughout the year.
The Aurora Civic Center Authority is committed to being a defining catalyst for personal and community transformation by:
- making the performing arts accessible for every age and socioeconomic background,
- introducing the magic of live theater across generations to encourage expansive imaginations and broad views of people and the world,
- and contributing to the future stability and growth of Aurora’s downtown.
The highest purpose of any theater is to inspire its community toward a more perfect humanity. Such humanity can exist only when every member of the community is included and valued, empowered and heard. To express this truth, ACCA commits its leaders, volunteers, artists and staff to the active, continual and accountable pursuit of the following principles: equity, inclusion and diversity.
ACCA truly believes and lives by its mission statement and its commitment to equity, social justice and inclusion.
DEPARTMENT – Special Events
DIRECT REPORTING – Special Events Director
WORKS CLOSELY WITH – Rentals Mgr. and other Event Coordinators
POSITION STATUS & SCHEDULE – Full time exempt; hours vary and may include evenings and weekends and are event dependent
COMPENSATION – Annual salary with excellent benefits package including health, paid time off, and 401k
HIRE DATE – Immediate
POSITION SUMMARY –Coordinates all aspects of rental events including advancing prior to the event, managing event day-of, and closing out after each event. Communicates with clients and other departments to ensure that all aspects of the event are planned and properly executed.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES –
- Have a complete working knowledge of ACCA’s standard operating procedures and event protocol, including concession policies, and money handling policies after initial training.
- Attend weekly meetings with the Events Team, Rentals Manager and Special Events Director, to discuss current and future events.
- Coordinate event details with Paramount staff after event specifics are turned over from the Rentals Manager.
- Establish contact and acquire all event details from Renter.
- Create an Event Sheet for each event that includes all details for all rental events.
- Communicate with the Special Events Director and other personnel concerning the set-up and removal of all necessary tables, chairs, podiums, etc. for all rental events.
- Coordinate event caterers, valet, and vendors as necessary.
- Plan room layouts and event programming.
- Coordinate staffing needs and cleaning staff schedule for rental events, place product orders, and marquee requests with Front of House Manager.
- Oversee and manage staff pre and post-event including Banquet Set-up Crew.
- Manage all staff during events including bar, security, cleaning, house crew.
- Submit projected additional liquor needs per event.
- Evaluate and order all linens necessary for all rental events.
- Wash all in-house linens used during rental events.
- Purchase some concessions items (i.e. bar fruit).
- Request all signage needed for rental events to the Marketing department.
- Ensure that the function runs smoothly and efficiently.
- Post-event evaluation with appropriate staff, as well as post-event closeout documentation.
- Manage a point of sales system and provide reports as needed.
- Change marquee before or after events.
- Complete tasks with attention to detail.
- Assist with Front Of House duties at Paramount Theatre, Copley Theatre, and RiverEdge Park.
- Assist Rentals Manager and Special Event Director with keeping track of event inquiries, leads, and follow-ups as needed.
- Assist Rentals Manager in creating budgets, contracts, and close-outs for rental events.
- Handle Emergency Evacuation and First Aid for all event guests.
- Meet with potential clients during a site visit to facilitate renting our venues.
- Other duties as assigned.
In addition to the duties listed above, ACCA expects the following of each employee: adheres to ACCA’s policies and procedures; works in a safe manner; performs duties as workload necessitates; maintains a positive and respectful attitude; communicates regularly with supervisor about department issues; demonstrates efficient time management and prioritizes workload; demonstrates regular and consistent attendance and punctuality; meets productivity standards; participates in ACCA events as needed or required, and completes other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES –
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, & Google Docs.
- Illinois Liquor Control Commission BASSET Certification (may be completed upon hiring).
- State of Illinois Department of Public Health Food Service Management (may be completed upon hiring).
- Crowd Control Management certification (may be completed upon hiring)
- Ability to sustain physical activity when pushing carts, setting up the event spaces, and remaining on feet for long periods. Must be able to lift up to 50lbs.
- Be the onsite point of contact throughout the entire rental event.
- Ability to work outdoors during RiverEdge Park season and in inclement weather.
- Willing to work long shifts and late nights.
- Must be willing to work on evenings and weekends.
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE, SKILLS and ABILITIES –
- Motivated, self-starter who can take minimal directions and see an event from start to completion.
- Organized so that all details of events are coordinated and managed.
- Proficient in Illustrator.
- Hands-on with set-up and tear-down of event and inventory movement when needed.
- Able to handle a fast-paced environment.
- Able to maintain a professional demeanor with clients and vendors.
- Responsive and considerate of all customers’ needs.
- Able to assess a situation and proactively manage problems.
Due to frequent and necessary interaction with members of the general public, performers, fellow employees, and other individuals, successful candidates for employment are required to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 before they begin work and will be required to provide proof of vaccination. “Fully vaccinated” as defined by the CDC means that at least 14 days have passed following receipt of the final dose of an FDA authorized Covid-19 vaccine.
TO APPLY – Please submit a cover letter and resume using the online job application at https://paramountaurora.com/opportunities/
Or mail/drop off to: Aurora Civic Center Authority, ATTN: (Jennifer Hahn), 8 East Galena Blvd., Suite 230, Aurora, IL 60506
ACCA is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment, and applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, disability status, marital or familial status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. ACCA encourages people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, women, LGBTQ individuals, people with disabilities, veterans, and others who are eager to help us achieve our vision of a diverse and inclusive community.