Costume Shop Stitcher
The Aurora Civic Center Authority (ACCA), an innovative organization located on Stolp Island in the Fox River in the heart of the richly diverse community of historic Aurora, Illinois (one hour from downtown Chicago), is seeking a Costume Shop Stitcher. ACCA is the parent organization, which also includes a 501(c)3 arm under the name of Paramount Arts Centre, Inc. It operates three performance venues: the 6,000-person RiverEdge Park, the 1,843-seat landmark Paramount Theatre, and the 165-seat Copley Theatre. ACCA produces and presents over 300 performances each year, including star-studded touring productions and a self-produced Broadway Series of musicals for an annual audience of 350,000 patrons from over 250 communities. ACCA proudly operates the Paramount School of the Arts in the new John C. Dunham Aurora Arts Center, right next door to Paramount Theatre in downtown Aurora, and the company looks forward to producing a new, Bold Series of plays and musicals in the newly renovated Copley Theatre beginning in the 2022 season. Paramount Theatre also hosts free community events, $1 Classic Movie Mondays and its opulent interiors provide a spectacular backdrop for private functions such as wedding receptions or corporate galas. Across the street from Paramount Theatre are the gorgeous Meyer Ballrooms which play host to multiple wedding receptions and rental events throughout the year.
The Aurora Civic Center Authority is committed to being a defining catalyst for personal and community transformation by:
- making the performing arts accessible for every age and socioeconomic background,
- introducing the magic of live theater across generations to encourage expansive imaginations and broad views of people and the world,
- and contributing to the future stability and growth of Aurora’s downtown.
The highest purpose of any theater is to inspire its community toward a more perfect humanity. Such humanity can exist only when every member of the community is included and valued, empowered and heard. To express this truth, ACCA commits its leaders, volunteers, artists and staff to the active, continual and accountable pursuit of the following principles: equity, inclusion and diversity.
ACCA truly believes and lives by its mission statement and its commitment to equity, social justice and inclusion.
DEPARTMENT – Production
DIRECT REPORTING – This position reports to Costume Shop Manager (CSM)
WORKS CLOSELY WITH – Costume Shop Manager (CSM), Drapers, First Hands, Costume Crafts Specialist, Associate Costume Shop Manager, Assistant Costume Shop Manager, and Wardrobe Run Crew
POSITION STATUS & SCHEDULE – Full-time hourly; generally 8 hour days Monday-Friday; some overtime in busy weeks
COMPENSATION – $21.10 per hour; overtime is applicable for time beyond 40 hours per week
HIRE DATE – January 2022
POSITION SUMMARY – The stitcher will support the Drapers, First Hands, Costume Crafts Specialist and the shop management team in the construction of costumes for all Aurora Civic Center Authority productions including the Broadway Series, the Bold Series, and future programming for Stolp Island Theatre (SIT) and summer Disney productions.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES -
- Supports Draper, First Hands and Costume Crafts Specialist in constructing costumes
- Stitches by hand or industrial/domestic sewing machines as needed
- Assists in taking Actor measurements
- Completes alterations from fittings as directed
- Performs final checks on completed garments
- Collaborates and communicates effectively with all departments and all those involved in the costume construction process including supervisors, designers, assistant designers and workroom staff
- May occasionally attend Bold Series tech rehearsal if shop personnel are needed to observe a particular event in tech
- Recommends supplies, tools and materials for general seasonal and show-specific inventory
- Participates in the upkeep and cleanliness of the fitting rooms, workrooms, storage, stock and inventory
- Participates in the maintenance of machinery, equipment and tools; reports necessary repairs
- Contributes to personnel safety, upholds workroom safety protocol, and participates in required training
- Additional duties as assigned
In addition to the duties listed above, ACCA expects the following of each employee: adheres to ACCA’s policies and procedures; works in a safe manner; performs duties as workload necessitates; maintains a positive and respectful attitude; communicates regularly with supervisor about department issues; demonstrates efficient time management and prioritizes workload; demonstrates regular and consistent attendance and punctuality; meets productivity standards; participates in ACCA events as needed or required; and completes other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE, SKILLS and ABILITIES -
- 3 years professional costume experience.
- Demonstrated intermediate to advanced skill level in costume construction, including hand stitching, crafts, and using industrial and domestic machines.
- Excellent verbal communication.
- Capacity to maintain good humor in stressful times and approach challenges in a calm, creative, diplomatic manner.
- Keen ability to work independently and collaboratively in a fast paced, rapidly changing environment.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit a cover letter and resume using the online job application at https://paramountaurora.com/opportunities/, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Or mail/drop off to: Aurora Civic Center Authority, ATTN: Matthew Guthier, 8 East Galena Blvd., Suite 230, Aurora, IL 60506
ACCA is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment, and applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, disability status, marital or familial status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. ACCA encourages people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, women, LGBTQ individuals, people with disabilities, veterans, and others who are eager to help us achieve our vision of a diverse and inclusive community.