Assistant Technical Director
The Aurora Civic Center Authority (ACCA), an innovative organization located on Stolp Island in the Fox River in the heart of the richly diverse community of historic Aurora, Illinois (one hour from downtown Chicago), is seeking an Assistant Technical Director (ATD). ACCA is the parent organization, which also includes a 501(c)3 arm under the name of Paramount Arts Centre, Inc. It operates three performance venues: the 6,000-person RiverEdge Park, the 1,843-seat landmark Paramount Theatre, and the 165-seat Copley Theatre. ACCA produces and presents over 300 performances each year, including star-studded touring productions and a self-produced Broadway Series of musicals for an annual audience of 350,000 patrons from over 250 communities. ACCA proudly operates the Paramount School of the Arts in the new John C. Dunham Aurora Arts Center, right next door to Paramount Theatre in downtown Aurora, and the company looks forward to producing a new, Bold Series of plays and musicals in the newly renovated Copley Theatre beginning in the 2021-2022 season. Paramount Theatre also hosts free community events, $1 Classic Movie Mondays and its opulent interiors provide a spectacular backdrop for private functions such as wedding receptions or corporate galas. Across the street from Paramount Theatre are the gorgeous Meyer Ballrooms which play host to multiple wedding receptions and rental events throughout the year.
The Aurora Civic Center Authority is committed to being a defining catalyst for personal and community transformation by:
- making the performing arts accessible for every age and socioeconomic background,
- introducing the magic of live theater across generations to encourage expansive imaginations and broad views of people and the world,
- and contributing to the future stability and growth of Aurora’s downtown.
The highest purpose of any theater is to inspire its community toward a more perfect humanity. Such humanity can exist only when every member of the community is included and valued, empowered and heard. To express this truth, ACCA commits its leaders, volunteers, artists and staff to the active, continual and accountable pursuit of the following principles: equity, inclusion and diversity.
ACCA truly believes and lives by its mission statement and its commitment to equity, social justice and inclusion.
The ideal candidate possesses experience in production scene shops and regional theatres. Experience with automation, 3-5 years’ management, pneumatics, Microsoft Excel, rigging, drafting in AutoCAD, and basic wiring skills are preferred, but not required.
DEPARTMENT – Production
DIRECT REPORTING – Technical Director
WORKS CLOSELY WITH – Scene Shop staff, IATSE Stage Crew, Technical Direction Staff, and Production Management staff
POSITION STATUS & SCHEDULE – Full time exempt; generally 8-9 hour days Monday-Friday; extended hours during tech and load-in; some weekends, evenings and holidays
COMPENSATION – Annual salary range is $37,000-$45,000. Position also qualifies for an excellent benefits package including health insurance, paid time off, and 401k.
HIRE DATE – April 2022
The ATD will help lead scene shop staff in general day to day activities, predominately focusing on administrative, maintenance, and preproduction tasks.
The ATD will help lead the scene shop crew in conjunction with other Technical Direction staff and Shop Foreman in the construction and installation of various projects, both within and outside the organization. The ATD will participate in the creation of and notation of construction drawings in AutoCAD, lead notes crews, attend some technical rehearsals, track purchases made for each production, schedule production and scene shop staff, aide in payroll tracking, create and execute maintenance schedules for equipment, and help with materials tracking/reconciliation.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES –
- In partnership with TD team, create technical and construction drawings for Scene Shop staff and other production departments using computer drafting programs such as AutoCAD
- Notating draftings created by other Technical Direction Staff
- Technical Drawing Creation and CNC toolpathing (experience not required)
- Lead shop and stage crew throughout notes calls focused on “punch lists”
- Lead shop and stage crew through some of load-in and installation of each set into the performance venue (2nd and 3rd shifts possible)
- Lead shop and stage crew through some of strike (2nd and 3rd shifts possible)
- Aid in rigging preparation
- Track spending and reconcile expenses in relation to budgets
- Organize and submit receipts and invoices
- Fulfill IATSE scheduling, staffing and execute IATSE payroll for all produced and presented events
- Create pack lists for transport of scenic elements from the Scene Shop to the performance venue for load-in
- Create maintenance schedules for production equipment and facilities in venues and shop
- Participate in maintenance of all stage & shop equipment
- Some carpentry, metal work, wiring and loading/unloading
- Other duties as required by TD and Production Staff
In addition to the duties listed above, ACCA expects the following of each employee: adheres to ACCA’s policies and procedures; works in a safe manner; performs duties as workload necessitates; maintains a positive and respectful attitude; communicates regularly with supervisor about department issues; demonstrates efficient time management and prioritizes workload; demonstrates regular and consistent attendance and punctuality; meets productivity standards; participates in ACCA events as needed or required; and completes other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE, SKILLS and ABILITIES
- Minimum three years of experience working in professional theatre
- Superior organization skills
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE, SKILLS and ABILITIES
- 3-5 years in management in a commercial scene shop or regional theatre environment
- Current knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Able to comfortably lift and manipulate 40 pounds
- Basic carpentry, metal work, wiring and pneumatics
- Drafting creation in AutoCAD
- Ability to drive a 26’ box truck
- Experience loading in large-scale scenery
- Basic rigging knowledge – ETCP certification preferred
- 3D drafting in Sketchup, AutoCAD or equivalent
Due to frequent and necessary interaction with members of the general public, performers, fellow employees and other individuals, successful candidates for employment are required to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 before they begin work and will be required to provide proof of vaccination. “Fully vaccinated” as defined by the CDC means that at least 14 days have passed following receipt of the final dose of an FDA authorized Covid-19 vaccine.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit a cover letter, drafting examples, 3 references, and resume using the online job application at https://paramountaurora.com/opportunities/
Or mail/drop off to: Aurora Civic Center Authority, ATTN: (Jason), 8 East Galena Blvd., Suite 230, Aurora, IL 60506
ACCA is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment, and applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, disability status, marital or familial status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. ACCA encourages people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, women, LGBTQ individuals, people with disabilities, veterans, and others who are eager to help us achieve our vision of a diverse and inclusive community.