Reporting directly to the Director of Special Events and Corporate Giving, the Development Assistant is responsible for and supports a variety of functions within the Development. The Development Assistant will provide comprehensive support to the Director of Special Events and Corporate Giving with an emphasis on special events, fundraising events and other activities The Development Department is responsible for generating revenue necessary to support the operations of the shelter and for creating exposure for the organization. Position is full-time, salary range is $27,000-$32,000 and is located in St. Charles.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Development Assistant will be responsible for a wide variety of tasks including, but not limited to:
- Coordination and execution of events and fundraisers
- Pre-event marketing, promotions, solicitations
- Pre-event and post-event correspondence and documentation
- Scheduling, communication correspondence and management of volunteers
- Respond to event and fundraising activity phone calls and email inquiries
- Maintenance of databases and websites for events and fundraisers
- Assist with various donor, giving & sponsorship programs
- Filing, answering phones, and general research
- Other projects as assigned
- Some weekend and evening hours may be required periodically
- Minimum two years of event experience, nonprofit development or sales experience
- Excellent customer service and follow-up skills
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to establish and monitor priorities, maintain flexibility and meet deadlines
- Ability to plan, organize, implement projects and events involving staff and volunteers
- Proficient in Microsoft programs including Excel, Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint
- Previous experience with or willingness to learn new fundraising and event management software
- Energetic team-player eager to contribute
- Works successfully in a fast-paced environment
- Desktop Publishing experience a plus
- Fluent in English, both written and verbal
- Must be able to lift or move items up to 50 lbs
- Customer Service - demonstrate the ability to respond with urgency to the needs and requests of others, internally and externally and ensure a high degree of responsiveness to all clients and staff. Understand the impact of their work on others.
- Understand safety policies and actively promote safe practices in the workplace.
- Maintain constructive relationships and demonstrate respect for everyone contacted.
- Deal constructively with conflict and focus on the situation, issue or behavior and not on the person by diffusing situations before conflicts arise, resolving conflicts directly and actively promoting and gaining cooperation from others.
- Willingness and ability to adjust to changing conditions or priorities.
- Take the initiative to identify and act on problems and lead by example.
- Consistently make decisions that resolve problems.
Anderson Animal Shelter was incorporated in 1966 as the Humane Society of North Central Illinois. Over the years, the shelter has transitioned from a traditional community animal shelter to one of the most progressive humane societies of its kind. Anderson Animal Shelter collaborates with public and private organizations and individuals to shelter, care for and promote the adoption of stray and unwanted companion animals. We advocate for the compassionate and humane treatment of these animals through direct care, humane education and community outreach programs.
All volunteers and staff of Anderson Animal Shelter must understand and accept that, even though all reasonable accommodations are made to support the physical and emotional health of our shelter animals. There are situations in which animals must be euthanized. ?
Deadline to apply is March 1, 2018. Send cover letter, resume and salary requirement to Anderson Animal Shelter, Attn: Special Events, 1000 S. La Fox, South Elgin, IL 60177 or email documents in pdf format to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only candidates who meet the minimum skills and requirements will be considered for the position and will be contacted. No emails or phone calls please.